Make Ahead: The muffins can be made a day in advance and kept (covered) at room temperature or frozen individually to preserve freshness (for up to 2 weeks), then defrosted in their wrappings. Reheat, loosely wrapped in aluminum foil, in a 300-degree oven for 10 minutes or until warmed through.
- 1/2 cup less 1/2 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran (also called miller’s bran; do not use bran cereal)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed,
- 3/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, preferably fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoonslow-fat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or bluerberries
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the wells of a standard-size 12-well muffin pan with cooking oil spray.
- Whisk together the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, bran, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a separate mixing bowl, then whisk in the buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract. Blend in the oil, mixing well.
- Thoroughly stir in the mashed bananas.
- Quickly pour the banana mixture over the flour mixture, scatter over the cranberries and pumpkin seeds, and stir to form a thick batter. Let it stand, uncovered, for 2 minutes; this allows for the flours to be absorbed into the batter and steadies the rise of the muffins during baking. Divide the batter equally among the muffin pan wells, mounding the portions slightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffins have risen and set and have browned. A wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin will withdraw clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the muffins in the pan on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes, then turn them out and cool completely (right side up) on the rack.
Calories per muffin (using low-fat buttermilk and sour cream): 220
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrates: 32g
Email me your pictures of your muffins email@example.com or comment your feedback below – and don’t forget to hit the like button if you liked the recipe!