On the look for a healthy after-school snack for the kids or for you on the go? Zucchini (or courgette to us British!) is also available year round. This quick bread is incredibly moist and if you use a combination of applesauce and a small amount of oil it cuts down the fat content. You can cut up the loaf and pop individually-wrapped slices in the freezer for easy after-school/work snacking. This moist and cake-like chocolate zucchini bread is the perfect way to make sure you are eating your vegetables but still enjoying a sweet treat!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Serving size: 1 slice
1¼ cup wheat flour
1¼ cup all purpose flour
¾ cup baking cocoa
¼ cup sugar
1¼ tsp baking soda
1¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
2 cups grated zucchini (approx. 2½ zucchinis)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
8 oz vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1½ Tbsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 2. Lightly coat two 8-inch bread pans with low calorie oil spray and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients: wheat flour, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk all of your wet ingredients: mix zucchini, eggs, yogurt, applesauce and vanilla.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix, careful not to over-mix.
6. Evenly distribute batter into your two loaf pans.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes .
8. Let cool completely on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from loaf pans.
Nutrition Information- Per Serving: (1 slice)
Saturated Fat: 0g